Just a couple of miles outside Glengormley village is the 19th century family farmhouse of Sentry Hill. The Men’s group from Whitehead Methodist Church – the M and Ms (don’t ask!), went there last year for one of their Saturday morning trips and it’s well worth a visit.
Built in 1835 to replace an earlier thatched farmhouse, it was added to in the 1880s, each generation making change according to their needs. The remarkable thing is that all the contents of the house from those earlier days have survived largely intact and provide a real glimpse of the lives and activities of the McKinney family through the 19th and early 20th centuries.
Very informative guided tours are available and there is an excellent coffee shop. The house is run and beautifully maintained by Newtownabbey Borough Council and it makes for a restful morning out, so close to the bustle of the nearby M2 motorway and city. More info on Sentry Hill.