Whitehead Children’s Home During First World War

childrenshomeDuring the war one of Whitehead’s spacious residences became a refuge for children. It was owned by Belfast Central Mission, a Methodist charitable organisation.

Towards the end of 1915 the ‘Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children’ and the ‘Soldiers and Sailors Families Association’ asked Belfast Central Mission to look after children whose fathers were fighting and whose mothers or guardians were incapable of looking after them ‘through drink, vicious habits or broken health’.

The Mission’s home in Whitehead was deemed to be the ideal refuge.

Listen to the Radio Ulster broadcast (7 June)…

Advertisements